So, it’s no secret that in a few months my life will change forever. My decade-and-a-half run as a student of formal education will end, and the next stage of my existence as a student of life with commence. I’ll be a college graduate, and hopefully a full-time working professional. Every time I consider this, I have a very confusing blend of emotions. Fear and uncertainty, pride and confidence, excitement and exhilaration, sadness and nostalgia. It’s bittersweet, but I’m hoping to make the most of what’s left of my life as an “irresponsible college student.”
Let’s face it, there’s a lot less wiggle room when you suddenly have a nine-to-five and consistent responsibilities. So, I’m writing up a “Leap List,” as my psychology-savvy roommate told me it was called. I’m making a to-do list of things to do while I have the freedom to now, as a college student, before I take that big leap into the next stage of life.
So what goes on a Leap List? Well, folks often write Leap Lists before they take on more responsibility. My roommate said that people typically make them for “before marriage” or “before kids.” I suppose “before graduation” fits into that theme pretty well, as I have a freedom now that I won’t have when I settle into a 40-hours-or-more-a-week career. (Don’t get me wrong, I am THRILLED to be completing college and even more excited to have a fulfilling, exciting career. But, to make the last few months of my bachelor’s more tolerable, I’m doing what I can when I can!)
What’s on my leap list? Well, I wanted to keep it realistic. I don’t want to graduate with some big disappointment that I didn’t have life-changing experiences in these upcoming months. Money as well as a busy class and work schedule can limit the possibilities. I want them to be things that I couldn’t EASILY do after I graduate and move to wherever it is I’m moving to. More than anything, I want it to be fun things that are working getting excited over. Without further ado, here is the first draft of my “Leap List.”
- Dye my hair an unrealistic color, one last time. (Done. I’ll be writing a blog post about my blue ‘do next week.)
- See a small-venue concert for a little-known band in downtown Chicago. (Bought tickets for Trampled By Turtles on April 13th. Going with my older brother!)
- Make a road trip to somewhere I’ve never been before, for the simple sake of having fun. (This could happen multiple times if funds allow, I feel like.)
- Pay off my car. (I’m getting so close!)
- Attend one last home Cubs game as an Illinois resident.
- Go to Brookfield Zoo one more time.
- Go for a long float on the river with some intertubes, some coolers, and a big group of friends. (This is a tentative plan for my birthday, if the weather is awesome. It’d be kind of nice to get some of my Twitter pals in town for it, too!)
- Have a giant game of Capture the Flag in my parents’ ~13 acres of woods.
- Play lasertag.
- Have one nice night out with friends…the kind where the girls dress fancy and the guys wear suits.
- Write thank you cards to the professors that have had the biggest impact on me.
Can you think of any suggestions for my Leap List? Share your thoughts! Let me know what YOU would do on YOUR Leap List. And keep watch, because I’ll be keeping track of my progress on this blog!